East Lyme Emergency Management is committed to preventing, protecting against, mitigating, responding to and recovering from the threats and hazards that pose the greatest risk to our community.
Over the past five years, East Lyme Emergency Management has applied for and been awarded nearly $545,000 in grant funding (as of 9/30/2022). This funding has enabled the department to upgrade public safety technology and communications equipment, enhance traffic control capabilities, provided funding for our new Everbridge Emergency Notification System (Launched 11/2021) as well as provide salary reimbursements to the Town for Emergency Management staff. This department is continuously seeking grant funding for vital public safety infrastructure and equipment upgrades essential for reliable connectivity and communications for our Police, Fire, EMS, 911 Dispatch Center, Local, Regional and State-Wide Partners in order to provide the highest level of protection for our community.
Important public safety notices and storm updates are posted to the East Lyme Public Safety Facebook page. You do not have to be a Facebook member to see the East Lyme Public Safety Facebook page. These notices are also viewable on the Public Safety Notices & Storm Updates page.
Preparing our community for natural and manmade disasters by:
- Connecting with Residents to Assist with Evacuations or Medical Need for Power
- Sharing important public safety tips.
- Notifying citizens of severe weather watches, warnings and alerts.
- Informing citizens about important public health information shared by Ledge Light Health District, the CT Department of Public Health and the CDC.
- Working with our Town Departments to plan for and implement mitigation measures that will strengthen our infrastructure and lessen the impacts of potential disasters that could threaten our community. Hazard Mitigation Plan.
- Attending regular meetings and participating in training with Local, State and Regional Emergency Support Function Partners such as the annual:
- FEMA evaluated Millstone Nuclear Power Station exercises to prepare in the event an emergency occurs at the plant.
- State Emergency Planning and Preparedness exercises to stay informed on the latest threats and learn about the newest assets to assist our community in the event of an emergency.
Monitoring and managing large scale emergency events from start to finish that threaten the life-safety, health and well-being of our community by:
- Communicating with essential emergency personnel to ensure a coordinated response during emergency events.
- Coordinating shelter openings with the American Red Cross when needed.
- Coordinating necessary resources and mutual aid from Local, Regional and State-wide partners when needed.
- Working with utility providers (Eversource, Frontier, Comcast Xfinity, Breezeline) to ensure services are restored as quickly as possible.
- Keeping our residents informed throughout the emergency events using multiple communications platforms including East Lyme’s Government/Education cable channel (Breezeline Cable Channel 191, Comcast Xfinity channel 97 and Frontier Channel 6112), Facebook, Instagram and the Everbridge Emergency Notification System.
Plan for and implementing recovery procedures to ensure resilient recovery after a disaster including:
- Coordinating field personnel to clear our roadways of snow, trees and other storm debris to ensure safe travel for our first responders, residents and visitors.
- Collecting and processing Town wide storm damage information during severe weather events necessary for requesting FEMA Public Assistance Funding for declared emergency or disaster events. These funds are essential for replenishing the normal operating budget.
- Performing residential and business damage assessments to collect accurate, cumulative damage totals realized by residential and business properties in East Lyme after a severe weather event. This information is essential for FEMA to determine if the damages sustained meet the threshold required to declare an emergency level or disaster level event. A declaration makes necessary public assistance funding available to assist municipalities with acquiring FEMA Individual Assistance Funding available to residents and SBA assistance available for businesses with recovery from damages.