PLEASE NOTE THE INFORMATIONAL HANDOUTS BELOW ARE BASED ON THE 2015 IRC PORTION OF THE 2018 EDITION OF THE CONNECTICUT BUILDING CODE. THE BUILDING CODE CHANGED EFFECTIVE 10/1/2022 AND THOSE CHANGES ARE NOT REFLECTED IN THESE HANDOUTS.
Answers to your most common questions and some limited code information can be found amongst these handouts. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to call the Building Department and speak with a building official, (860) 691-4114.
Many permits require more than one permit application for approval, as well as supporting documentation.
For example, SWIMMING POOL permits typically require the most permits and supporting paperwork as follows: building permit (including a copy of the contractors license, and worker’s compensation insurance), zoning permit (with site plan delineating proposed location of pool, with distances to property lines), LLHD B100a permit (if property served by a private septic system, including a site plan delineating proposed location of pool with distances to property lines and septic system), wetlands permit (if the proposed pool is within 300′ of a wetland, on the property or adjacent too, with dimensions to property line and septic delineated). It would also require the specs on the pool (above ground/in-ground), alarm specifications for floating alarm and any necessary door alarms, fencing specifications as well as gate latch and swing specifications, site plan, filtration specs, pool cover specs, etc.
- Demolition Permit Rev July 2023 (pdf)
- Agent Letter Checklist (pdf)
- Building Inspection Requirements (pdf)
- Single Family Requirements 2015 (pdf)
- FAQ's Basements Conversions (pdf)
- Basement Conversions One and Two-Family Dwellings 2017 (pdf)
- Code Change Notice 2018 (pdf)
- Summary of Significant Code Changes 2016 (pdf)
- Deck Field Inspection Checklist (pdf)
- UFER Grounding Notice (pdf)
- Energy Code Compliance Checklist (pdf)
- FEMA Determining Market Value and Improvement Costs (pdf)
- FAQ's Garages & Sheds (pdf)
- FAQ's Gas Installations (pdf)
- Propane Gas Tank Installation and Examples 2017 (pdf)
- FAQ's Pools, Hot Tubs & Spas (pdf)
- Pool Inspection Checklist 2012 IRC (pdf)
- Residential Energy Compliance Certificate 2012 IRC (pdf)
- Roofing Code Changes (pdf)
- Roof Tape Notice (pdf)
- Roofing Inspection Checklist (pdf)
- Shed Information and Site Plan 2014 (pdf)
- Standardized Solar PV Handout 2014 (pdf)
- Swimming Pools and Spas Information Handout (pdf)
- FAQ's New & Replacement Windows & Doors (pdf)
- New & Replacement Windows & Doors 2017 (pdf)