All veterans should have their original discharge papers or DD214’s filed at East Lyme Town Hall..

They must first go to the Assessor’s Office to fill out the proper form and to see if they qualify for the exemption on their taxes. The Assessor’s Office can let them know if they do. There is no charge for this service. The document is copied into a permanent record book and indexed in an alphabetical index for easy reference.