Justices of the Peace are endorsed by the Town Committees

For a short period (during a Presidential Election year), unaffiliated voters are allowed to apply to the Town Clerk to become a Justice of the Peace.  During other times registered voters may ask a Town Committee to appoint them as a Justice of the Peace.  Once they are appointed all Justices must come into the Town Clerk’s Office to be sworn in and to prepare a signature card for filing. This card shows not only their legal signature but shows their term of office. The Town Clerk prepares a list of Justices which may be given to applicants for marriage licenses. A handbook is given to the Justice. This book shows what duties they may perform and also contains a few samples of marriage ceremonies.