Over half of all home electrical fires involve lighting equipment or home electrical wiring.
- Plug only one heat-producing appliance (such as a coffee maker, space heater, or microwave) directly into a wall outlet at a time.
- Extension cords should only be used temporarily. Have an electrician install additional wall outlets where you need them.
- Never use an extension cord with a heat-producing appliance.
- Don’t overload extension cords or wall outlets.
- Check your electrical cords. If they are cracked or damaged, replace them. Don’t try to repair them.
- Use light bulbs that match the recommended wattage on the lamp or fixture.
- Electrical work should only be done by a qualified electrician.
Electrical Fire Safety in the Home (30 seconds)
Be Fire Smart with Electricity in Your Home (70 seconds)