energy assistance

Do you know of someone in need of energy assistance?

East Lyme Public Safety wants you to share this information on how to apply.

If you are a resident of the Town of East Lyme and know of someone in need of energy assistance or need information about energy assistance:

  • Residents that are 60 years of age or older or whom are disabled, can call the East Lyme Senior Center at 860-739-5859 to apply or for more information
  • All other residents, call TVCCA (New London Office) at 860-444-0006 to apply or for more information
  • For all others, additional energy assistance program information can be found by accessing the web pages below or by calling: 211

* CT DSS Winter Heating Assistance Program

* EverSource’s List of Financial Assistance Programs

* Connecticut 2-1-1 Infoline Utility Shut-offs

* Electric and Gas
In Connecticut, utility companies that provide natural gas and/or electric service are limited by law as to when and under what circumstances they are permitted to shut off a customer’s service.

Life-threatening Shut-offs: Electric and gas companies may not shut off or refuse to turn on utility service at any time during the year if a lack of service is life-threatening, regardless of the amount of money a customer owes.

Winter Shut-offs: Protection for low-income persons from winter shut-offs that are not life-threatening is available from November 1 to May 1, under certain circumstances, depending on whether the company provides electric or gas service.

For a detailed explanation of what these limits are and how this affects your electric or natural gas service, see the Self-Help Guide “How to Keep Your Lights and Gas Turned On”, published by the Connecticut Network for Legal Aid.