Smith Harris House

Welcome to our Homes!

East Lyme has always been a great place to live and we’re lucky that past settlers left a legacy of names, homes and traditions for us to enjoy.

Hike the Oswegatchie Hills or walk the shores of Niantic Bay or Pattagansett Lake and you’re visiting winter and summer campgrounds of East Lyme’s first settlers, the Nehantic Indians. Visit the 1660 saltbox home of Thomas Lee and the 1734 Little Boston School, both on West Main Street, and you’re a young settler – and student – in Connecticut colony.

Trek from Bride Brook to Plants Dam Road to find the 18th century gambrel-roofed Samuel Smith Farmstead and check out how local farmers worked the land in our infant nation.

Then follow Society Road to Thomas Avery’s 1845 Greek Revival home, now Smith – Harris House. Have a picnic and imagine living here when the surrounding 300 acres of library, sports fields, and schools was Brookside Farm.

All houses are open in summer and for special events throughout the year. Details can be found at the links below or in the Calendar of Events on DiscoverEastLyme.com. And welcome to our homes!

Historical Properties Governance

Historical Properties


Thomas Lee House

The original circa 1660 dwelling consisted of a timber frame erected on six 2-story wall posts, enclosing a ground floor with the Judgement Hall below and the Chamber above.

Thomas Lee House

Memorial Day Weekend: Flea Market

The East Lyme Historical Society will be holding its Annual Memorial Day Weekend Flea Market Saturday and Sunday from 9 am – 5 pm. The Flea Market will take place on the grounds of the Thomas Lee House West Main St Niantic. Vendors from throughout the state will be bringing their collectibles, antiques and crafts, so be sure to stop by and see what they have.

For more information on the market and the Historical Society please visit www.EastLymeHistoricalSociety.com.

The Samuel Smith House is an outstanding example of a simple colonial-era farmhouse in East Lyme, Connecticut. It is unique in that it has been lovingly maintained and restored with accuracy to its beginning in 1685, with two additions constructed in 1735 and 1812.

Little Boston School House

The first record of a school in the area of the Lee House dates to at least 1734. The present building was erected on land donated by Elisha Lee. In use until 1922, the building was eventually moved to its present location, next to the Lee House. It was donated to the East Lyme Historical Society in 1926.

Little Boston School House

The school and its surrounding neighborhood were given the name “Little Boston” because the quality of the education was considered to be comparable to that of Boston.